Friday, August 22, 2008

ditherings

The closer i get to leaving, the more i try and ignore it. After a good days trip on the day 2 section yesterday, we had a sunset truckride back to Bujagali, about an hour and half drivefrom the Hairy Lemon, our take out point. There was a storm coming in north, and we were headed south west, so we experianced a beautiful sunset. The sun was setting- sending warm orangey pink higlights into the clouds which were a darker, stromy grey, and were being backlit by storm coming in. the contrast of all the colors, along with the shape and density of clouds, was incredible. It was one of those moments where you feel completley at peace, or content. The blue, battered truck, the bumpy, rutted dirt road, and the shouts of the kids shouting "jambo!" as you try and duck your head from the wind. It just made me realize all over again how beautiful this country is. At that moment, i didnt want to leave.

I am trying to get ready to leave - even though none of my friends here or at home fully believe me. I dont fully beleive myself. Even so, im getting more and more excited about my next adventure- nepal.

ive been emailing with a bunch of the kiwi girls and with Inka, the projets founder, and have been trying to upload airline web pages to look at flights- with some difficulty i might add. I keep trying to upload photos, managed to get a few onto wills blog the other night, after trying for 3.5 hours. (thank you davey, for the use of your office and internet)- small things that will change very soon. For nepal, im trying to prep for the cold weather (mentally- that is) and have been going over my raft guiding skills and river safety skills that might come in handy. When i get home i might even try to start to collect some gear donations, so if anyone has excess kayak gear in small sizes- give a shout.

Its funny the direction my life has gone. I came out here to volunteer, and see if i was interested in public health, but seem to have taken a bit of a detour. Kayaking and white water have long been interests of mine, but the prominence they have taken in my life over the past few years astounds me. I also can't believe how much my blog has disintegrated into personal ditherings about my daily life, when i promise that wasnt my orignial intention. The dissapearance as well of soft power and malaria musings reflect the changes in my life, but i will do my best to put up some final updates on Annie and her volunteers.

Forgot to mention as well that KayakCruises, jamie and jareds new sit on top company has been doing really well- ill write more on that later as it provides a great alternative out here to the "hardcore" rafting or kayaking. Jamie is also looking into opening up a KayakZanzibar branch of KTN- which i have to admite im excited for. Yes i will come back and work- please!!!

about all for now, more later.

No comments: