Monday, May 4, 2009

Cheat fest to Denver

I left Vermont last week, stopping along the way to pick up a new playboat, a project 45 in Cherry red. Clearly- in my week at home, I needed to try it out, and see if it was as good as i remembered. 

I spent two days up at Scudders falls, a playspot on the Delaware river just over the New Jersey border from PA. The boat preformed well, and i had some good sessions, leaving me with plenty to work on and think about for the coming season.  Scudders is kind of a mecca for local paddlers- and everytime i am there, i manage to run into old friends and boating acquaintances.  It was great to catch up with people- and even better because i was talked into going to Cheat fest down in West Virginia. 

My dad and i drove down on friday- stopping for a warm up on the Loop section of the Lower youghigheny river- before heading to run the Cheat on Saturday. It has been raining non stop here- so the levels were high... The loop was running at 3 feet, and the Cheat was at 5 feet- making my Dad a little nervous, but he did great.  The most nerve racking part of the day was taking Glens shuttle back to the put-in. Jared, Dave Fusili, Big Dave Fusili, Nicole Mansfield and I held on for dear life, along with about 40 other people- as the truck raced around corners- trying to fling us out. 

We paddled with a ton (36) PCC members- including old friends Dave Smith and Nancy Pietroski, John Harvey and the Seilers. After a great weekend, i'm off to Denver- at least to start, with some loose plans to meet up with Demshitz and the Pyranha van for a tour to Reno, or off to Missoula to visit Tara and Karl.  Should be good- it will be my first time out west and i am excited! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't miss the Missoula wave...I hear it's worth the drive

DAD