Monday, May 26, 2008

Townie

So i have officially moved out of the campsite, and into a room in a house in town. Its a similar but different lifestyle, and i don't quite know how i feel about it yet. Thus far (i've been in town for about a week) it has been largely inconvenient, as i am based (workwise) up in bujagali. So now i have a longer commute ,which adds on costs, and time. Living in town doesn't change the fact that the largest social scenes still happen at the campsite, or at adrift, the other rafting company. Which means unless you want to hangout by yourself, you end up at the campsite anyways, and then just wait around to hire a taxi with other "townies" or take a boda back. I do think that once the busy season picks up i will be glad to not be living in town, and once i figure out a rhythm. i'm not even fully unpacked yet. i will say, i love having a fridge and kitchen, though i haven't made great use of it yet. i finish my day from kayak school at the campsite, hang out for a little, and often order food. oh well.. what can you do?

kayak school is going really well. i forgot how much i enjoy coaching and teaching. Most of the students we get are beginners, and to see someone feel like they have really accomplished something is great. I had a group of peace corps volunteers the other day, and they were having so much fun, that i couldn't help but have fun as well. I had another woman who has been struggling to get comfortable in a kayak and learn to roll for years who came out with me, and had so much fun, got her roll, and now wants to kayak all the time. So while i'm not helping the locals in need of mozzie nets or family planning education, when your students have such a good day, you cant help but feel like you accomplished something.

i think that kayak seems like such an intimidating sport to so many people, especially women, and it really shouldn't be. It is absolutely a sport that you do at your own speed and comfort level, whether that is scenic float trips or terrifying whitewater runs. I will admit to sometimes getting bored of kayaking- especially when, doing beginner trips, you aren't challenging yourself in the same way. I think i am going to need to step up my game a little bit with my own personal kayaking to keep from getting bored or burning out. Though going back and working on basic skills day after day can really only help. plus i am getting much stronger from emptying out boats! Either way, i am excited to have a bit of a winter season next year, do some hiking, and make use of the tele skis that are sitting in my parents basement. (thanks for the storage space!!!)

ive been going to the gym here a bunch with davey, which is a really nice change of pace -getting some cardio, some time on the treadmill- funny- i think i had been on a treadmill twice in my life before coming out here- and just generally trying to get back in shape, change up the routine. can't say i wasn't inspired in part by my track ladies.. who have had a great season- well done erin- prs all over the place, and i wasn't even there to push her butt in practice. Part of me does miss the organized sports aspect, and of course, the great legs all that running and jumping gave me. ill do my best to keep up out here, though davey kicks my ass as a workout partner. Still- its fun.

Annie comes back next month, which is exciting... bringing out a new camera for me- which should mean some new pictures for all of you-

- if anyone knows anyone from the states who is thinking of heading out this way, let me know, because i have some friends who want some stuff brought out.
cheers guys! (one example of my changing vocabulary thanks to all the uk kids around)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna Pauline!
Woke up this morning and it(weather) and I (personality) were cool enough to wear my kabob!
Thinking of you and sending love,
Mel

Anonymous said...

Anna,

Let's see some more pix...you know, a photo is worth 1k words.

Missing you on our river trips...

Dad