Tuesday, April 29, 2008

and so phase two begins...

Morgan flew out on the 23rd, and has made it safely home, though it sounds as though "home" is a funny term after 6 months living over here. I understand. at the age where you are starting to feel full independant, either after having been at college, or having lived elsewhere, traveled, etc... it isn't easy going back "home" to your parents house, especially when many of the things that made it home, your room, your friends, the things you did there, have changed. i think it can be a bit disorienting, especially for those of us (myself definatley included) who dont have the most concrete plans after college, no really great job or grad school lined up- more take it as it goes, and live out of your car type deal.

But speaking of taking it as it goes... i am fully on to the second phase of my trip here; im no longer 'saving the world' as we jokingly put it, though of course i am keen to offer my services to soft power (soon to be renamed... as and aside... does anyone have any ideas?) whenever they need me. Annie flys out tomorrow to go home for her sisters wedding, and do some serious electronics shopping for all the fulltimers out here- and then jessie leaves soon after as well. two of our volunteers head out at the end of the month, though think a new one should be arriving soon.

as for myself- i have moved out of the banda i shared with morgan, and into another "guide banda" for the time being, which i will probably be kicked out of within the month. after that, im moving into a house in town, to try something a little different. from tent to town in 6-8 months. not a bad deal at all. My visa is being processed, my ticket has been changed to spetember 5, just in time for karl and tara's wedding in jackson hole... crazy.

its still pretty quiet around here, not super busy, but i am picking up work as i go, and hopefully will train to guide rafts out here as well if may is slow. always a good oppertunity to better my kayaking skills as well...The new kayak the nile office has been built and is almost completed, which is exciting as we have been missing our base. Jamie (owner of ktn, my boss) is off in the UK for a couple of weeks, leaving my friend Jared in charge, so things are rolling on.

thats about all for now, hopefully i will have some pictures to post soon... and some scintillating updates on life in bujagali falls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And so it does go! Somehow I always seem to check your blog on exactly the date you post it! Thank you for informing me on technology, as well as the world according to A.P.B.!
Enjoy the respite, as I am SURE wild rides are sure to come! That's from an almost 55 year old who has yet to kayak!
Love,
Mel