Monday, March 30, 2009

More Killington Antics

Its been busy up here in Vermont. I still can't believe that its the end of March. Springtime is in full force up here. We've had alternatley freezing cold days with 60 degree days- bright sunshine mixed with the rain that is eating the rest of the snow up here, turning the once frozen ground into mud, turning the snow into run-off, flooding the rivers and creeks in the area.

In other words- its kayak season, and I don't have a kayak or people to paddle with. Boo. I did in fact just purchase a new playboat from a friend- a cherry red Project 45 that I will pick up in a few weeks. Other than that, not much has been happening on the paddling front- besides some vague plans for the following two months to be detailed in my next blog post.

Despite not paddling, i've managed to get some good quality time in on the hill. Spring is fun up at Killington- practically every weekend hosts some sort of event. In the past month Killington has hosted the US snowboarding grand prix and a spring loaded pipe/slopestyle/rail jam comp. Next weekend is the Annual Bear Mountain Mogul challenge- which should also be tons of fun.

The grand prix was a qualifier of sorts for the Olympics, meaning that several of snowboardings best were on hand competeing in the Half pipe and in the park for slopestyle. I was fortunate enough to get to go and watch the womens competition from the bottom of the pipe.

Spectators watch as the women take their first runs

I was struck by how young the majority of the competitors were- and how talented they were. Its amazing to watch someone who really knows how to utilize the halfpipe- not to mention their acrobatic abilities. Both Gretchen Bleiler and Kelly Clark threw down huge runs for the ladies, coming in first and second, respectively.

Here is video of Gretchen Bleiler on her first run down the pipe.





I had all the more respect for the women as I have spent a good portion of this season on my snowboard in the "baby park" located on the Timberline trail at Killington. I've been pushing myself more- starting to not only go off the jumps, but try for some rotation as well. I landed my first successful 360' last week!!! (And crashed on at least 6 others. ) Ive also started hitting some smaller and medium sized boxes, but i will admit to being too much of a wimp to hit the rails. I even went in the half pipe for the first time this past week- on telemark skis and on a snowboard- The only way I can describe my experience is that I was completely disoriented.


Gretchen hikes the pipe for her next run

The pipe has 20 foot walls, and once you drop in, they are all you can see. You need to work to ride up along the walls- yet- at the same time they pull you into them. I rode through a couple of times, trying to feel out the timing, and figure out how to ride up the walls and transition off them- and was left with an entirely new respect for these athletes.

A competitor airs out on a practice run

Riding in the park can be a lot of fun- it has completely changed the way i view the terrain and features of the mountain, inside and outside the park. Ive started riding more creatively, and having fun on a snowboard for the first time in ages. I had a mini photoshoot with some friends in two of the bigger parks at Killington- the dreammaker park and the stash. We had a great day- and tons of fun. Here are some of my favorite shots.

Rodney hits a tree-stall in The Stash

Sliding down a barrel

Barrel - with a few altercations


Dream Maker- Second Jump


Thats about all for now- updates on my summer and upcomming return to water sports soon- i swear!

No comments: